Pages

6 August 2017

Book Review Mermaid's Song by Darlene Franklin


Mermaid's Song 
by 
Darlene Franklin


Book Discription:

At last, the much anticipated 50th book by Darlene Franklin!

Noble Prescott is drawn to the scene of a shipwreck by a sweet song sung in a language he didn’t understand. The songstress is barely alive, holding onto a piece of the ship’s railing. Her dress wraps around her legs like a mermaid’s tail.

Thus begins this imaginative retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s classic fairy tale.

Justine Battineaux, an Acadian forced from her homeland on Cape Breton Island by British decree, finds herself adrift in the Maine colony. She doesn’t know the language and is distrusted as a foreigner.

Noble lives up to his name, providing shelter for Justine—and protection, as distrust turns into danger. For himself, his family—and the woman he comes to love.

How will Justine and Noble overcome the evil woman’s schemes to find their own love everlasting?

My Review:

Firstly thanks to the Author for my review copy.

I love the story I couldn't stop reading and due to insomnia I was reading in the early hours of the morning which is not normal for me, but I just didn't want to put the book down. I have read a couple of books dealing with the French Acadian people and them being forcibly resettled and this gives another insight into what happened. I really love how the language barrier proved to be no real barrier in the end, yes it did make things interesting but there are things that transcend language such as music.

When Justine is shipwrecked it is her song that draws Nobel to her. He can hear a beautiful sound and recognises the tune but not the words. I love how even though both worship the same God they can worship in their own languages. Thankfully there is a citizen who knows French in the village although she has a hidden agenda that becomes clear as the book progresses. I would like to say more about the story and what happens but being its a novella I don't want to give the story line or hidden gems away.

This is my favourite novella I have read so far this year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...